Warning: Geek Talk Stuff – move along, nothing interesting to read (or comprehend) here.
I fixed the link structure on this blog to have real words and dates rather than just a goofy meaningless number like ?=123. It’s silly that is the default for WordPress.
When I first tried to fix it, I kept getting 404s, so I switched it back to the default “ugly” links. After some Google research, it turns out I needed to have an .htaccess file in my WP root folder. So I copied another existing one via my CPanel to my WP folder. I then tried changing over to the “pretty” links via my WP Dashboard, and I got a message:
“If your .htaccess file were writable, we could do this automatically, but it isn’t so these are the mod_rewrite rules you should have in your .htaccess file. Click in the field and press CTRL + a to select all.”
Then it gave me a code to insert.
I replaced the previously exisiting code in my .htaccess file with the code above (I already have an .htaccess file in the folder above my WP folder).
And now it works! Yippee! I was afraid I would have to use “ugly” links for the rest of my life. I’m so glad I found the solution and was able to *competently* solve the problem instead of having something blow up and become completely unusable…as it so often used to do. I’m very relieved. One of the few times technology just made me temporarily frustrated rather than making me cry.