I do not use facebook except to redirect to my own websites and galleries. Listed are the reasons I dislike it. I will update as necessary.
Continue reading The Many Reasons Why I Hate Facebook
This is sort of a two parter.
First part. I hate Facebook. I do not participate in the Facebook Culture. I hate it for many reasons:
- The Font is Too Damn Small!!! (say it in a “The Rent is Too Damn High!” Guy voice)
- The whole thought of friending and liking is just so superficial. How can you friend someone you’ve never met or even corresponded with? I have gotten friend requests from people and I haven’t the foggiest who they are. It demeans the meaning of friend. Surely there’s gotta be another term, but I’m not going to spend my time thinking of one. And liking? Who cares if 782 people “like” something. Who cares if someone has 1,593 friends? So what? It’s inane. I’d rather just have information and content without the silly social aspect of a little tag telling me something is popular. That’s for people who can’t make up their own minds.
- I actually tried to set up a facebook account for my business and it just didn’t work. Now I’ve designed websites, set up my own computer and home network by myself without the help of an alphageek to help me out at home, and I’ve been on the web for 15 years navigating the processes of website creation by myself. Although I’m not a geek, technology isn’t foreign either. I’ve figured out seemingly more difficult things. But they made facebook so darn difficult to sign up for an account. I was told when signing up that they don’t allow businesses to sign up…yet there are business pages. WTF?!?!? Screw it. If it’s this hard for me, no wonder why other people can’t figure out how to set their privacy preferences correctly.
- The Font is Too Damn Small! Why can’t they let the user customize their area? I guess they don’t want it to look like MySpace which is a visual disaster with huge, ugly repeating background photos…but they could allow some customization of colors or something…something so it doesn’t all look the same…or is that what they want? Mindcontrol is next…
- Why do we even NEED Facebook? Aren’t websites good enough? Aren’t blogs good enough? I don’t use Blogger anymore, but it is free, and you can upload pictures and have comments, and you can customize your blog title so it’s something like “yourcustomtitle.blogspot.com” instead of some long unmemorable 15-digit number like http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001133716539. (Yes, that is my number. If you are bored enough with your life to actually cut and paste–as I am not providing a link to it–then you can see what I am not doing with facebook. You can also create a wordpress account at wordpress.com to have a free wordpress blog….I have my own domains and install WordPress myself…the software is free with many web hosting packages. You can do anything you want to your blog from a visual standpoint. Why use facebook?
- I’ve heard things…about how all your content belongs to them. Sorry, I’ll be the master of my own domain, thank you very much.
- It’s like a borg. I will not be assimilated.
That being said, even though I do not participate, I have recently been finding some helpful information on it like various anti-Budget Despair bill pages. Thank goodness I can do a two-finger swipe thing on my MacBook Trackpad to enlarge the page because The Font is Toooo DAAAAAAMMMMMNNNN Small!
You hear that, Facebook?
The Font. Is TOOOOOO. DAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMNNNNNNN. SMALL!!!!!!
Second Part. I found Boycott Scott Walker Contributors with a post about boycotting Koch industries consumer products……
Angel Soft toilet paper
Brawny paper towels
Dixie plates, bowls, napkins and cups
Mardi Gras napkins and towels
Quilted Northern toilet paper
Soft ‘n Gentle toilet paper
Vanity Fair napkins
Oh poop! We use Northern Quilted. Poo.
Anyway, despite my hatred of Facebook itself, I won’t hesitate to post some helpful Facebook pages I’m finding regarding Wisconsin and boycotting and this whole disaster, now or in the future.
Boycott Koch Industries
Boycott Scott Walker Contributors
Save the Train Wisconsin
Must watch video: Maddow Destroys Wisconsin’s Gov Walker (saw this last night)
Buy “Recall Walker” Bumper Stickers!